Breast Reconstruction Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- Please describe the symptoms and issues you’re having that led you to schedule this online appointment. Start at the beginning of this current episode and tell me how and when things have changed and progressed.
- How much pain are you having?
- What is your energy level?
- How much fluid is collecting in your drains each day?
- How would you rate sensation in the area?
- How are you feeling emotionally? Are you having any anxiety related to having your breasts reconstructed?
- What are your goals for breast reconstruction?
- How important is it to you for the reconstructed breast to mimic the look and feel of a natural breast, including reconstructing the nipple if necessary?
- If necessary, do you want surgery on the other breast to make them more similar?
- Have you and your oncologist finalized your breast cancer treatment plan?
- How quickly do you want to be able to recover after surgery?
- Are you an athlete or do you participate in specific sports that you want to return to?
- Do you smoke?
- What other medical conditions do you have?
- Have you considered the option of not having breast reconstruction?
- What steps can I take to prepare for breast reconstruction surgery?
- Will I need to stay in the hospital and if so, how long will I be there?
- How will I need to care for my incisions, including drain care if you use them?
- What kind of exercises or stretching will help me heal? When can I start them?
- How long will it take to return to normal activities?
- What symptoms should alert me to call you, such as arm swelling?
- What types of breast reconstruction am I a candidate for?
- What are the pros and cons of each of my options?
- Does my breast cancer stage or treatment affect my options?
- How many surgeries do each of my options involve?
- What can I reasonably expect each option to accomplish?
- What are my options if I am not happy with the results or if the reconstruction fails?