Think you know everything about COPD? Here are 5 facts about the condition.
5 Things You Didn’t Know About COPD
1. COPD is the third leading cause of death in the United States.More than 15 million Americans have been diagnosed with COPD, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Only heart disease and cancer cause more deaths in America.
2. Women are more vulnerable to COPD than men.Because more women have taken up smoking since the 1960s, the number of deaths among women with COPD has skyrocketed in recent years.
3. Smoking is not the only cause of COPD.Experts agree tobacco smoke is the main cause of COPD. But there are other contributing factors, like genetics, pollution and respiratory infections.
4. COPD is often misdiagnosed.People often mistake the early signs of COPD, like chronic cough or shortness of breath, as part of the normal aging process.
5. The right doctor can mean a world of difference.Finding the best doctor to help you with COPD can increase your quality of life. Turn to Healthgrades.com to search for the right doctor for you.
Share this video to help educate others about COPD!