Over-the-Counter Pain Relief Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- Is your OTC pain reliever managing your pain effectively?
- How severe is your pain? On a scale of one to 10 with 10 being the worst pain you have ever had.
- Are you only using one type of OTC pain reliever?
- What prescription medicines do you take? What other OTC medicines or supplements are you using?
- Have you started or stopped any of your prescription medicines?
- Do you need occasional pain relief or is your pain constant?
- What other symptoms are you experiencing?
- Do you have any medication allergies?
- What medical conditions do you have, such as a bleeding disorder or kidney, liver or heart disease? How are you treating and managing them?
- How much alcohol do you typically drink daily?
- What side effects are you experiencing with your OTC pain reliever?
- What is the safest OTC pain reliever for me based on my medical history?
- What are the potential side effects?
- How much and how often should I take the OTC pain reliever you are recommending?
- Are there OTC pain relievers or other OTC medicines I should avoid?
- Will any of my other medications interact with OTC pain relievers?
- How long is it safe to use my OTC pain reliever?
- What are my options if I'm still having pain on my OTC pain reliever?
- Are there lifestyle changes I can make to help relieve my pain?
- Is it possible to treat the underlying cause of my chronic pain?
- Could another medicine control my pain better with fewer side effects?