Biliary Tract Cancer Appointment Guide
Ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment. Answer two questions below to personalize your appointment guide.
- Please describe the symptoms and issues you’re having that led you to schedule this online appointment. Start at the beginning of this current episode and tell me how and when things have changed and progressed.
- Is this the first time you've been diagnosed with bile duct cancer, or is it a recurrence?
- When was your last CT scan or tumor marker test?
- What other health conditions do you have? How are you treating and managing them?
- Are you experiencing any side effects from your treatments?
- What kind of emotional and social support do you have to help you cope?
- Would you be willing to consider a clinical trial?
- What symptoms are you having and when did they first start?
- Are your symptoms constant or do they come and go?
- Do you have a family history of cancer? Which ones?
- Do you have a history of chronic liver disease or bile duct stones?
- Do you smoke or drink alcohol?
- Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes or inflammatory bowel disease?
- What type of bile duct cancer do I have and where exactly is it?
- Has the cancer spread outside the bile ducts? What stage is it?
- Is surgery an option for me? What are my other treatment options?
- What side effects are possible with the recommended treatment? Are there strategies to prevent or treat them?
- What is my prognosis?
- Should I get a second opinion, and do you have doctor recommendations?
- Am I a candidate for any clinical trials?
- What tests do I need to find out if I have bile duct cancer?
- How long will it take find out if I have cancer?
- Are there different types of bile duct cancer?
- Does the type of bile duct cancer affect treatment options?
- If tests are negative, is there anything I can do to lower my risk of cancer?